February, being the short month that it was, flew by. Then March came in like a lion.
Here are the highlights:
- Began attending Academic Lectures for the Instructor Training Program (more on that here)
- Registered for the CrossFit Games Open.
- Celebrated Valentine's Day with Bacon-Covered Roses from my hubby
- Began the Whole Life Challenge
|Which required a purchase from US Wellness Meats|
- Entertained a weekend with the in-laws and managed to stay WLC compliant
- Dominated the CrossFit Games Open WOD 13.1 with a new PR
- Experimented with new recipes...
|How to poach the perfect egg|
- Started volunteering at a local elementary school's running club
- Signed up to mentor an at-risk youth at a local high school
- Dominated the CrossFit Games Open WOD 13.2
As of this posting, I'm currently sitting at 2240th place in the Mid-Atlantic Region. Not impressive, you say? Then go away. This blog isn't for you. I'm here to learn about personal growth and inspire others.
13.2 was a 10 minute AMRAP of five shoulder to overhead at 75 pounds, followed by 10 deadlifts at the same weight, and 15 box jumps on a 20-inch box.
For the elite athletes, this is considered a moderately light weight. Going in, I knew I would have to move the loads as quickly as possible. My strategy was two-fold: 1) don't rest in the overhead position (sounds obvious, I know, but I have a tendency to lock out overhead and rest there) 2) don't let go of the bar between the shoulder to overhead and the deadlifts.
I went in with a goal of seven complete rounds. Had it not been for the two times I tripped on the box jumps, I might have had it! I was two box jumps shy of my goal. I'm super proud of my performance though. I gave it my all and left everything I had in the gym.
So far, I have successfully predicted more than 50% of the workout for each Open WOD. I had predicted burpees for 13.1 (burpees and snatch ladder) and deadlifts and box jumps for 13.2 (described above). For 13.3, I'm predicting rowing and wall balls or thrusters. We'll see if I can continue my prediction streak when the WOD is announced Wednesday.
In the meantime, I think I will be sharing some more recipes very soon. I made one this weekend of which I was particularly proud... grilled chicken smothered in mushroom and sage gravy over a bed of sweet potato linguine. Sound delicious? It was. Check back later this week for the recipe and photo.