Skip to main content

Death by Feather Duster!

Yesterday was a long day. A very long day.

I was ultra productive this weekend, getting in a 5.5 mile run, a lunch with friends, lots of Outlet shopping, Sunday morning Church, grocery shopping, car cleaning, laundry, and some arts and crafts... what I didn't get was ample amounts of sleep.

Monday afternoon included a nice trip to the salon after work. It was a quiet trip, as there were only three stylists working at the time. I enjoyed a nice glass of wine and some good conversation with my stylist (the one who introduced me to CrossFit).

Because we have a 10K race this weekend, this week is a fairly timid week as far as training goes. My intentions were to run an easy two miles when I got home from the salon. At least, those were my intentions pre- drinking a glass of wine at the salon.

When I returned home, I was ready to hit the hay. But as I pulled up to the house, my hubby was sitting on the front porch. Straight away I could tell something was off. We will call this sign number one.

He greeted me pleasantly, and assured me everything was ok as he helped me carry my things inside from the car. Sign number two that things were not right.

As I took my stuffed pepper out of the oven that he had warmed for me from the weekend's leftovers, he offered to get me a glass of water. Sign number three, for those of you who are counting.

And then he dropped the bomb.

"I have a surprise for you," he said. Go on...

Last week, we found out his uncle, who has been ill for quite some time, passed away. We knew his mother would be coming and staying with us as she passed through for the funeral, but I assumed (foolishly, apparently) that it would be later in the week. False.

She is coming today.

**pause for face melting**

After regaining my composure from the initial shock, I shouted, "CLEAN ALL THE THINGS!" I shoved the stuffed pepper into my mouth and leaped from the table to start cleaning.

Now, we by no means have a dirty house. We usually straighten up on the weekends: I dust about once a week just because I can't stand seeing dust on our dark furniture; the toilets typically get cleaned every other weekend; and we recently (about a month ago) did a deep cleaning of the kitchen where I even scrubbed the stove clean.

That being said, with all the running around we have had with just starting CrossFit, cleaning out the cars, and visiting friends and family out of town the passed few weekends, it was a bit of a sty.

Thankfully, the hubster sprung into action as well. I picked up everything off the floor and starting putting items in their rightful places while he and the vacuum roared to life. I started by cleaning off the breakfast bar, then cleaned the bathroom in the basement, then returned to the living room to take down our Christmas wreath (yes, there was still a golden Christmas wreath hanging in my living room ;don't judge, I haven't had time to hang our new Pottery Barn mirrors).

In short, there was no method to my madness. If I had to go somewhere in the house to put something away and I saw something else out of place, it got put in its place. If I was passing by the bathroom on my way to put towels in the laundry, that bathroom got cleaned.

About thirty minutes in, he dropped another bomb on me. His aunt was going to be coming as well.

**more panic ensued with a rejuvenated cleaning effort**

Finally, after two hours of running around and shouting like a crazy person, the house was spotless. We put the two sets of guest sheets in the dryer as we headed out for work this morning. After work, hubby will dress the beds while I am at CrossFit, and then we'll be ready to greet our guests.

Why all this madness to prepare the house, you ask?

I cannot help but feel like how well we keep the house is a representation of how well I care for my husband, or at least I feel that is a possible perception. If the fridge is stocked with healthy food, I motivate him to stay in shape, and the house is clean, I am taking good care of him.

There may or may not be a direct correlation, and I may be crazy a little off center, but I felt like this was a bit of a surprise inspection!

I love my mother-in-law and I really want to impress her and show her that I am taking good car of my hubby. She did such a wonderful job raising him, I feel like anything less would be an insult to her.

On that note, I got very little sleep last night. And while the feather duster wasn't able to kill me, today's CrossFit workout might finish me off. Today's WOD is "Death by Kettlebell."

     2/1.5 pood Kettlebell
     1 kettlebell swing the first minute
     2 kettlebell swings the second minute
     3 the third, continue until you are unable to complete required amount of reps in the minute.
     Score is the last full round of minutes plus number of reps in final partial minute.

See you all on the other side!


Popular posts from this blog

TOS - Thoracic Outlet Syndrome or The Only Snag?

When I was about 14 years old, I was diagnosed with Thoracic Outlet Syndrome (TOS), a condition wherein excessive pressure is placed on a bundle of nerves that pass into the arm from the neck causing pain and weakness in the arm.

I was a fast pitch softball pitcher and first noticed symptoms of TOS after pitching at an all day tournament. My arm swelled to the point that I could not bend my wrist, and although it's my favorite color, it turned a very unpleasant shade of purple.

My parents took me to a specialist at Johns Hopkins Hospital, but little was known about TOS or its treatment at the time. They simply told me to remedy the situation by quitting sports. I played softball for another year after that, relinquishing the position of pitcher and taking on second base so I wouldn't have as much strain on my arm, but eventually I gave up softball all together.

Three years ago, my younger sister found she had the same problem while playing softball in high school. Unfortunatel…

Happy Birthday, Baby

A lot has happened in the three years since I regularly kept up with my blog. A lot.

My love for fitness, nutrition and CrossFit lead me down the path to training and sharing that love with others. After about a year of training, I decided I wanted even more out of life.

My husband and I happily added a new member to our family one year ago today. I had a healthy, relatively uneventful pregnancy (and continued to workout and eat healthy through the entirety of it) and my labor was everything I wanted it to be. As others around me struggle to obtain their own pregnancy and labor ideals, I realize just how blessed we were and how rare it is that everything should go according to plan, although I was completely unaware of it at the time.

Looking back over the last year, I have come to the conclusion that there are certain aspects of parenthood that people do not talk about in polite conversation. Labor being the primary culprit.

To commemorate the birth of our son, I want to share my birth s…

On the Eve of Becoming a Brother

Let me hold you one last time.
You were my first. You have forever changed me. You made my heart grow. You will always carry a piece of my heart. But my heart is about to grow again  and soon there will be two where one once stood. Every laugh. Every hug. Every kiss. I cherish these memories we have made, the stories we read and the secrets we share. Nobody will ever come between us or replace you. Our bond will never be broken but new bonds will be formed; Me to your brother and you to him, also. I know your heart will grow, too. You will lead your brother, your confidant, your friend. You will teach him. You will guide him. You will always be there for him and he will be there for you. He will love you. He will look up to you. You will be his hero in so many ways because you were the first. Our family of three will become a family of four. Remember that your father and I will always love you. You were our first.